Join Barry and Peggy this weekend as they discuss holiday eating, dieting, and how to maintain a healthy dietary outlook. They also talk about a new recipe "Dreamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge." Join them today from 1 until 1:30 p.m. for this Friday's edition of "Getting Barry Healthy"
Join Barry Roberts every Monday afternoon from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m. for a show called “Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts”.
Barry is trying to eat healthier so why not do a show about it?
Every Monday afternoon Barry talks to experts like dieticians, personal trainers, and more about nutrition. Anywhere from fruits and veggies to fad diets, ways to lose weight, supplements, eating better and anything that makes our life healthier.
Getting Barry Healthy Segment Stories
Below is a listing of stories for the Getting Barry Healthy segment. Please click the story title to view the full story.
Join Barry Roberts and Greta Farley as they talk more about healthy recipes, particularly those that still provide that "comfort food" feel in the winter blues!
Greta's Tater Tot Casserole
Makes six servings
- 1 lb honeysuckle 97% lean ground white turkey
- 16 oz bag of California blend frozen vegetables
- 1 can of Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup
- 1/2 bag Oreida Mini Tater Tots
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. Magic Chef poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray
- Place ground turkey at the bottom of the pan; sprinkle with Magic Chef poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste
- Layer frozen vegetables onto the turkey
- Spread cream of chicken soup over the vegetables
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the soup
- Place tater tots on top of the casserole
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until tater tots are crisp brown and turkey is thoroughly cooked
- 316 calories
- 24 g carbohydrates
- 13 g fat
- 23 g protein
Join Barry Roberts and Peggy Saxton this Friday as they talk more healthy recipes! Peggy will also highlight a delicious fall meal: Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili! Think it's a mouthful? Just wait til you try it! It's another edition of Getting Barry Healthy this Friday on AM 730 KWOA!
Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 4½ - 8½ hours
Makes: 9 servings of 1 cup each
What you need
Cooking spray 2 lb
99% lean ground turkey
½ tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili powder, to taste
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
Fat free sour cream for topping (optional)
Chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
2) Add oil to the saute pan, then onions and garlic, saute about 3-4 minutes; add cumin and saute another minute. Add to crock pot.
3) Add to crock pot the beans, pumpkin puree, green chile, broth, chili powder, oregano and bay leaves. Cook for 4-8 hours.
4) Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste before serving.
Nutrition Information per 1 cup serving
Calories 183 Carbohydrate 10.9g
Dietary Fiber 8.8g Fat 2.3g
Protein 23.3g Sodium 430mg
Join Barry Roberts and Peggy Saxton this Friday, August 3rd, as they discuss health and healthy recipes. The highlighted recipe of this segment will be Zucchini Lasagna!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes.
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes.
What You Need
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 medium zucchini
- 8 oz low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook grond beef and onion until onion is tender (about 10 minutes). Drain grease.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese with egg until well mixed.
- In the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish, arrange half of the zucchini in a layer and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of flour. Top with cottage cheese mixture and half of meat mixture. Repeat with remaining zucchini and flour; sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining meat mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and zucchini is fork-tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Calories: 180
- Carbs: 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.48 g
- Protein: 15.3 g
- Sodium: 860.78 mg
- Total Fat: 8.01 g
Join Barry Roberts Friday at 1:05 PM for another addition of Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts on AM 730 KWOA! This week he's talking with Amanda Walljasper of Schafer's Health to discuss healthy foods!
Join Barry Roberts today at 1:05 PM for another addition of Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts on AM 730 KWOA! This week we will be talking to Dana Collin, personal trainer at Anytime Fitness-Worthington, MN on how to eat like an animal! Today from 1-1:30 PM on AM 730 KWOA!!!
Listen to AM 730 KWOA this afternoon at 1:05 till 1:30 for my new nutrition talk show, Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts! Today Michelle Poppen, dietician from Sanford Regional Hospital Worthington will joining me. We'll be discussing Fruits & Vegetables. So join me this afternoon at 1:05 on KWOA!
Listen to AM AM 730 KWOA this afternoon at 1:05 till 1:30 for week 2 of my new nutrition talk show, with a new name, Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts! Today Gretta Farley, dietician from Worthington Hy-Vee will joining me. We'll be discussing Heart Healthy Eating. So join me this afternoon at 1:05 on AM 730 KWOA!
Listen to AM 730 KWOA this afternoon at 1:05 for the premiere of my new nutrition talk show, Health & Nutrition with Barry Roberts! My very first guest will be Amanda Walljasper, owner of Schafer's Health Center! We'll be discussing Gluten Free living. So join me this afternoon at 1:05 on AM 730 KWOA!